Friday, May 16, 2014

Awkward Strangers

The other day my mom and I went out to eat at a Chinese Buffet with Barker. It was just the three of us and we were at a booth with Barker in a high chair at the end. When we sat him up the waitress was very helpful tightening up the straps and was friendly to Barker. He's a smiley baby and often gets attention so this seemed fairly normal.
Then she was touching his hands and even kissed his cheek...this started to make me feel a little awkward, but I figured, well, she's just being friendly.
Throughout the course of our meal Barker was greeted by about 5 different waitresses that came over to say hi and touched his hands and feet. At one point Barker started to get a little fussy so I picked him up. The waitress then came over and wanted to hold him. She then wanted to carry him around the restaurant with her so we could eat. (Um...no, I don't know you.) I politely said I was okay to hold him.
Then as we were leaving my mom was holding Barker as I was looking over the receipt and the waitress come to hold him one more time. By this time Mom and I were already feeling pretty uncomfortable, but you don't want to be rude and she practically took him out of my mom's hands...Barker must have sensed something was off though because he immediately reached back for my mom. Haha so smart.

So, while the waitresses were very sweet and friendly, I didn't know them. I don't mind strangers smiling and waving at my baby. But when you start touching him...then kissing him...then trying to hold him...then trying to hold him and walk away...I have a problem. I don't think I'll feel comfortable going back there for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment