Friday, July 24, 2015

First Science Project

Last week we finished off a carton of orange juice and I remembered an elementary school science project from my ELED days at Ball State and decided it could be Barker's first science project: Growing a pumpkin. (Fingers crossed it works!)


Sure he is a bit young, but why not? The package says it'll take 100 days to fully grow (in the middle of fall!), and of course we'll have to transplant it, but here is what we did today. =)

First I cut an orange juice carton, it's about 4" tall. Then Barker got to decorate it with stickers!



Next, we moved to the garage to fill the carton with dirt. (It's was raining outside)

He only had to see me get the dirt a couple times before he was ready to try himself.



Then we planted the pumpkin seed.


To follow up I watered and put it on the counter. It will live on our back patio soon. =)
I think I will plant another one on my own just in case we got a dud of a seed. I don't know how it will turn out, but it's never too early to start teaching the kids to garden, and I think he had fun. ;) If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment