Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Saddest Thing in my Mommy World

I know I've only officially been a mom for about 6 months now but in that time I've discovered this:

One of the saddest things in the world is when your child is hurting and the only thing you can do is hold him while he cries.

We have been blessed with an amazingly sweet and cheerful boy that is not easily upset, but there have been times when he is sick or simply has growing pains and there is nothing I can do to make him feel better. Over the weekend Barker's first two teeth began to break through the gums and while I know the pain will be over soon, my little baby doesn't quite understand what is going on in his mouth. He especially has a hard time when it is time to nap or sleep at night.

During his afternoon nap yesterday Barker woke up in serious pain (or at least very upsetting pain). I tried holding him different ways, bouncing, teething toys, a washcloth and just cuddling in bed. Finally I gave him some Tylenol and just held my crying boy until it kicked in and he was able to sleep.

As I was lying there just holding my son I wondered if this is how God feels sometimes. We are all his children and he knows where we are headed--all the good things in store--but he also see the pain we must go through to get there and all he can do is offer us comfort.

I have to believe that even in the hard times, God knows what is coming and as we experience our spiritual growing pains, he will be there to hold us through to our victory.

"The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him." Nahum 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment